Before 1910 the pastors of St. Patrick’s parish of North Platte ministered to the spiritual needs of the Catholics in the Sutherland, Paxton areas. For a while the pastors of Sidney cared for this area. After 1913, when St. Luke’s parish of Ogallala was established, Mass was offered at irregular intervals in Sutherland, which then became a mission attached to Ogallala in the early part of the 1900’s.
Among the priests who served the people of this area were Fathers Haley, Carroll, and Patrick McDaid of North Platte; Fathers T.D. Sullivan, James Dobson, and Aloysius Kampmann of Sidney; and Fathers T.P. Molony, Cornelius McLaughlin and Patrick Sloan of Ogallala.
In 1922 the first Sacred Heart Church in Sutherland was built at a cost of $2,700 under the direction of Fr. Patrick Sloan. Bishop James Duffy dedicated it on the Feast of the Sacred Heart on June 23, 1922.
In August of 1922, the missions of Paxton and Sutherland were made into separate parishes with Sutherland being chosen as the place for the resident pastor. In the spring of 1923 a rectory was purchased for the parish rectory. In the fall of 1928, additional property was purchased, giving the parish five acres of property.
The first recorded baptism in this church was that of Dorothy Minahan; the first marriage was James Boyle and Esther Guffey; the first funeral was for Nellie Marie Woodrow.
Fr. Alphonse Gasser served as the first resident pastor serving from the fall of 1922 until his death on December 4th, 1931. Fr. Francis J. Tschida who served until August of 1938 followed Fr. Gasser. Fr. Joseph Muldoon was assisted by Fr. Anthony Radziewicz for a while.
In the summer of 1949 Fr. Constantine J. Shumski was appointed pastor until August of 1961. During this time the present church was built and dedicated in 1954. On April 26, 1955 Bishop John L. Paschang dedicated the present rectory. The combined cost of the church and rectory was $120,000.
Sacred Heart parish became a mission of Holy Spirit in 2003 with Fr. Art Faesser as Pastor.
At the present time our parish pastor is Fr. Jim Novakowski.